Sunday, November 11, 2012

Glowing


"you don't know where you're going
and you won't tell me, for fear I'll follow suit
and you're tryin to save me from your past of bad decisions 
but my decision's always gonna be to follow you"

I think the Script will hit gold with this single, "Glowing". Literally, I am calling it now... but this post has very little to do with those lyrics so let's skip to the good part--

The past week was absolutely grand. It was Homecoming week here in Mercer Land, and I thoroughly enjoyed everything I got to participate in. I wish I had not had so much school work and other stuff weighing on me, but I still think I made the best of things.
I came to the realization this morning that I only get one more of these. "Homecoming". To come home to a place means you feel complete and safe there. In a sense, you're glowing. You're at both your best and worst there. I definitely feel that is true of my experience here. I have grown up here, and I still am. Almost all of the best memories of my life so far are tied in some way to Mercer. I can't believe this time has gone so fast, and I can't help but be timid about the future. What home do I get to come to after this one? Where is the path leading from here?
I cannot help but enjoy these moments as they come, because "by the time I realize this moment, it'll be gone", in the words of JM. I really do hope I am not watching life pass me by. I know I am not on nights like last night, on the night when I took the stage to lip sync in the same chapel I first stepped into my freshman year for Convocation, on nights where I'm wasting the gas in one of my best friend's trucks just listening to him defend the fact that we are Democrats and he is listening to me--and this time really listening--pour out my soul, on the sunny afternoon where I ate the Krystal Cheeseanator with one of my greatest friends on the bank of the river talking about when we grow old, on the night when I celebrated my best girl friend's 22nd birthday, on the afternoon I decided to take a chance and run for SGA...these are the times for the books.
In one year, my last homecoming as an undergraduate will be over, and I hope I can look back then like I look back now--with a smile and a simple sweetness. 

So I leave you with this, and I will keep it in mind too:
"Promise me you will not spend so much time
treading water and trying to keep your head
above water that you forget,
truly forget, 
how much you have always loved to swim"
-Tyler Knott Gregson



God bless those bears,
K

2 comments: